A 10.5m2+ antique French ceramic floor with back to back borders
Reclaimed from a village house renovation close to Ecluses, Burgundy, France
An antique ceramic 15.5cm square plain field tile manufactured by Perrusson et Fils, Ecluses in the early 20th century
We have offered an antique border tile of 15cm square tiles in a complimentary palette of green, off-white, mustard and charcoal which can be laid as a single or back to back border
We have shown the border tiles as both a single lay and double back to back lay in the photographs
The tiles have cleaned well as the high resolution photographs show; some displaying small edge nibbles and chips, all groutable
Can be laid inside or outside of the house; a small patio, conservatory, summer house, garden pathway...
Total of 96 antique border tiles offering a surface area of 2.25m2 (24.2 sq ft) and a linear length of 15 linear metres (49ft) for a single lay or 7.5 linear metres (24.5ft) for a back to back lay.
All 4 internal and 4 external border corner tiles are present.
There are 345 plain ceramic tiles available, totalling 8.3m2 / 89 sq ft
Perrusson - a brief history...
Jean-Marie Perrusson was not only known for ceramic tile production but also for the production of bricks and roof tiles. Many of the lozenge themed terracotta mechanical tiles in Burgundy bear the Perrusson hallmark. He built his first brick making factory in 1860 and started mechanical tile production in 1863, to which he added a workshop for manufacturing ceramic tiles in 1875. Further expansion of the ceramic tile production in the Saône-et-Loire was initiated (in Saint-Julien-sur-Dheune in 1866, St. Pantaleon 1870), and even beyond the department (in Sancoins Cher in 1870 and Fontafié in Charente in 1878).
The company was renamed ‘Perrusson son and Desfontaines’ in 1890 and the factory also manufactured architectural ceramics and statues. In April 1960 the factory finally closed its doors. The vast majority of the original buildings constructed in 1890/1900 are destroyed with the offices, changing rooms of the factory, the concierge and the electrical workshop the only significant remnants of the site that can still be seen. The Perrusson factory employed 40 workers in 1860, 80 by 1874, 130 in 1890, 300 at its peak in 1900, 280 in 1930 and 130 during 1945 to 1950.