Reclaimed from a period, bourgeois property in Anost, Burgundy, France an antique French ceramic floor tile of 14.5cm square tiles
Manufactured by Perrusson et Fils, Ecluses in the early part of the 20th century
Comprising of a plain 14.5cm sq terracotta coloured ceramic tile and a 14cm sq border tile in mustard, charcoal, burgundy and white
All four corner pieces for the border run are present and correct
The floor has cleaned well of its old mortar and dirt revealing a tile in excellent condition; some bearing small chip and edge nibbles
Can be laid inside or outside of the home - garden pathway, small patio, conservatory etc.
Tile quantities, give or take one or two:-
Main field tiles - 250 - 5m2 / 54 sq ft
Border tiles - 86 plus 4 corners - 1.8m2 / 12.6 linear metres or 41+ linear feet
Perrusson - a brief history...
Jean-Marie Perrusson was not only known for ceramic tile production but also for the production of bricks and roof tiles. Many of the lozenge themed terracotta mechanical tiles in Burgundy bear the Perrusson hallmark. He built his first brick making factory in 1860 and started mechanical tile production in 1863, to which he added a workshop for manufacturing ceramic tiles in 1875. Further expansion of the ceramic tile production in the Saône-et-Loire was initiated (in Saint-Julien-sur-Dheune in 1866, St. Pantaleon 1870), and even beyond the department (in Sancoins Cher in 1870 and Fontafié in Charente in 1878).
The company was renamed ‘Perrusson son and Desfontaines’ in 1890 and the factory also manufactured architectural ceramics and statues. In April 1960 the factory finally closed its doors. The vast majority of the original buildings constructed in 1890/1900 are destroyed with the offices, changing rooms of the factory, the concierge and the electrical workshop the only significant remnants of the site that can still be seen.
The Perrusson factory employed 40 workers in 1860, 80 by 1874, 130 in 1890, 300 at its peak in 1900, 280 in 1930 and 130 during 1945 to 1950.