2m2 period French Perrusson floor of large 17cm square ceramic tiles (PR4)

2m2 period French Perrusson floor of large 17cm square ceramic tiles

SOLD  SOLD  SOLD

Reclaimed from a village house renovation close to Ecluse in Burgundy, France a small 2m2 antique ceramic floor with its original borders

Manufactured by Perrusson et Fils, Ecluses in the early 20th century

The floor consists of a quality 17cm sq, 25mm thick field tile weighing 1.4kgs, each in a faux-cabachons design

The tiles were handmade in small batches and as such there is some tonal variation in the slip colours as can be seen on both the field and border tiles

We have reclaimed some of the borders from the floor; peculiarly some are 170mm square and others 166mm square. There is likely enough borders to top and tail the floor or for an internal border frame and we can help with looking at potential applications for your chosen area without obligation

The palette of the floor is warm and the floor displays a charming antique patina with the plain pure design of the field tile complimented by its ornate fluid borders. It would be ideal for a small porch, toilet, bathroom or as a central feature surrounded by antique parquet or a complimentary modern ceramic. Being a highly fired tile the floor can be laid inside or outside of the home.

 

Tile quantities:-

Field tiles - 40 - 1.15m2 / 12 sq ft

Border tiles - 170mm - 10 tiles - 170cm linear length

Border tiles - 166mm - 18 tiles - 300cm linear length

 

Perrusson - a brief history...

 

Jean-Marie Perrusson was not only known for ceramic tile production but also for the production of bricks and roof tiles. Many of the lozenge themed terracotta mechanical tiles in Burgundy bear the Perrusson hallmark. He built his first brick making factory in 1860 and started mechanical tile production in 1863, to which he added a workshop for manufacturing ceramic tiles in 1875. Further expansion of the ceramic tile production in the Saône-et-Loire was initiated (in Saint-Julien-sur-Dheune in 1866, St. Pantaleon 1870), and even beyond the department (in Sancoins Cher in 1870 and Fontafié in Charente in 1878).
 
The company was renamed ‘Perrusson son and Desfontaines’ in 1890 and the factory also manufactured architectural ceramics and statues. In April 1960 the factory finally closed its doors. The vast majority of the original buildings constructed in 1890/1900 are destroyed with the offices, changing rooms of the factory, the concierge and the electrical workshop the only significant remnants of the site that can still be seen.
 
The Perrusson factory employed 40 workers in 1860, 80 by 1874, 130 in 1890, 300 at its peak in 1900, 280 in 1930 and 130 during 1945 to 1950.

Back to JUST IN