Superbly detailed period Perrusson et Fils ceramic tiles (PR3)

Superbly detailed period Perrusson et Fils ceramic tiles

SOLD  SOLD  SOLD  

Reclaimed from a connecting hallway in a village house close to Ecluses, Burgundy, France, a period antique French ceramic tile with half size borders

 

Beautiful detailing on a 17cm square tile, 2cm thick, weighing 1.4kgs each

Field tiles framed by a left side and right sided half size border tile 8.5cm x 17cm

Manufactured by Perrusson et Fils Ecluses in the early part of the 20th century

Stunning detail and in excellent condition, they have cleaned beautifully of their old mortar and wax revealing crisp, consistent colours as the high resolution photographs below show

Perfect statement piece in a larger area, framed by an antique parquet or complimentary tile or can be laid in a small porch, bathroom, toilet

They can also be fixed on walls, as a splashback or inside a shower

The four small border corners have not be reclaimed but we have three additional field tiles from which three corners can be cut plus one additional half size border from which one can be cut. This will create three identical corners and one different corner.  Optionally, a simple plain tile can be cut in a complimentary palette (we would suggest a vanilla or butterscotch tile in colour)

The dimensions of the area of the tiles in the photographs is 119cm x 85cm

 

Perrusson - a brief history...

 
Jean-Marie Perrusson was not only known for ceramic tile production but also for the production of bricks and roof tiles. Many of the lozenge themed terracotta mechanical tiles in Burgundy bear the Perrusson hallmark. He built his first brick making factory in 1860 and started mechanical tile production in 1863, to which he added a workshop for manufacturing ceramic tiles in 1875. Further expansion of the ceramic tile production in the Saône-et-Loire was initiated (in Saint-Julien-sur-Dheune in 1866, St. Pantaleon 1870), and even beyond the department (in Sancoins Cher in 1870 and Fontafié in Charente in 1878).
 
The company was renamed ‘Perrusson son and Desfontaines’ in 1890 and the factory also manufactured architectural ceramics and statues. In April 1960 the factory finally closed its doors. The vast majority of the original buildings constructed in 1890/1900 are destroyed with the offices, changing rooms of the factory, the concierge and the electrical workshop the only significant remnants of the site that can still be seen.
 

The Perrusson factory employed 40 workers in 1860, 80 by 1874, 130 in 1890, 300 at its peak in 1900, 280 in 1930 and 130 during 1945 to 1950.

Back to Ceramic floors less than 5m2 (53 sq) ft for sale